Pages

Friday, November 6, 2009

South Africa in Pictures: A Hillbrow Street market


A vibrant fruit & vegetable market, in the centre of Hillbrow (a built up area in Johannesburg).

Hillbrow is a densely built up area - mostly apartments and very tall buildings and used to be "the place" to go in the evenings in the 70's and 80's, with all it's cosmopolitan cafes, bars, clubs, restaurants, bookshops and music stores which remained open until very late at night.
  
This picture was taken on a Heritage Walk (with the Parktown and Westcliff Heritage Trust)through Hillbrow July 2009, during which I was amazed to see how many of the old and historical buildings are not only very much intact, but also remain preserved.

5 comments:

Roy Cherian Cherukarayil said...

Gena,
Its so nice to see the interior places of Johannesburg...I believe the place has an organization that takes care of heritage structures like we have here.I notice that the vegetables and fruits are kept on plates all neat...is it one of the rich localities??

Best

Roy

Gena D said...

Yeah I thought it would be nice to post something different, and since I had the opportunity to go in there and take pics, why not, hey? Hillbrow is just a high density built up area which in some parts is almost slum like, in othere it's relatively decent. G

Roy Cherian Cherukarayil said...

Gena,
Yes it was a good idea...I was just asking you seeing the profile of the market as to what kind of place the nearby areas would be like...

Roy

GardenOfDaisies said...

I love this picture! Once again reminds me so much of my childhood in Brazil and the street feiras there.

Gena D said...

yes I can imagine it would. I need to post some of the pics from the feiras I attended in Portugal - very similar too!!

Linked within

Blog Widget by LinkWithin