Pages

Monday, June 1, 2009

As the Days Grow Short

In the southern hemisphere we are well into our winter... albeit very short and less fierce than northern hemisphere winters, we take massive strain. You see, it appears that South Africans are not winter people! We are so spoilt with endless days of sunshine (even in winter) that to dress in heavier clothes and brace ourselves against the cold wind just seems to take it's toll.

So I've been looking at ways in which we can have fun and appreciate this cold, but yet very short season. Whilst out yesterday, we stopped for a much needed cup of coffee and on the menu my eyes caught sight of these words written by Leslie Newman ...

"As the days grow short, some faces grow long, but not mine. Every autumn when the wind turns cold and darkness comes early, I am suddenly happy... It's time to start making soup again!"

Well that certainly is one way of feeling positive about the cooler weather. I'm going to pore through my cookbooks and see what soup or stew I can make today.

Keep warm!
G
Picture: Sunset over Magaliesburg mountains. Gena D Photography

No comments:

Linked within

Blog Widget by LinkWithin