Pages

Friday, June 5, 2009

Where would we be without music?

Music is evocative, lending atmosphere and energy to everything we do. It influences our moods, our emotions and most certainly links us to people and places.

To me, music is an integral part of life. I love just about all types of music ... from classical to rock, and always have. My frame of mind, and funnily enough, the time of year, determines what I like to listen to at a given moment. For example, on sultry summer evenings I love jazzy tunes, whether old or new, or Latin American beats such as a good samba. In fact even Diana Krall or great Blues, hit the mark!

On warm, sunny, breezy mornings over a sumptuous brunch (ideally shared with a number of friends!), I love violin, Vivaldi for example, or guitar music, which evokes feelings of garden weddings or parties, laughter and champagne! When I'm feeling particularly on top of the world and it's summer I love "beaty music" with great rhythms and lyrics that I can sing along with at the top of my voice, mostly in the car and at times with the windows wide open.....

When feeling creative, or in need of creative inspiration, I find classical music such as Mozart or Beethoven or even olde world "nostalgic" music, is just perfect! I particularly enjoy such artists as Billie Holliday, Louis Armstrong, Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, and then some of the younger crowd who sing in the same mould, such as Duffy, Priscilla Ahn, Amy Winehouse amongst others'. I've just been listening to the smokey, gravelly voice of Madeleine Peyroux, and have decided she's definitely part of the "creative music pack". Inevitably this type of music makes me tap my feet (or pencil), it invites me to get up and dance around the room, it makes me want to open the windows and take in great gulps of fresh air, it creates a sense of "je ne sais quoi..." something unexplainable, intangible, difficult to put into words. But it sure makes me feel .... alive!

Music connects us to feelings, emotions and even people and places. To this day I have a vivid memory of Alex, an old school mate's reaction, to Boston's "More than a Feeling" and this, well over 20 years ago.... such is the power of music!

On that "note' I wish you a "music filled' day.....
G

Picture credit : Irvington Music

No comments:

Linked within

Blog Widget by LinkWithin