Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"Sacred Bamboo" in Autumn Splendour

Whilst the northern hemisphere is celebrating spring and all the emerging
and blooming plants, trees etc.etc., here in the Southern Hemisphere we
are deep into Autumn.
Last  week I was waxing lyrical about how photography has enhanced 
my appreciation of the seasons, well here is an example of why ..... how can
 you possibly ignore such vibrant colour?
The berries and leaves in these images belong to the Nandina Domestica
 (commonly  known as Sacred Bamboo - but not a bamboo at all) ... it's one of
the greatest plants/  shrubs to have in the garden as it tolerates heat, cold, dry
and wet weather and always has some display on the go ... if not the tiny
flowers, then the bright green new  growth, or the berries,  and then of
course the leaves, turning into all shades of vibrant orange to deep red,
whilst at the same time continuing to display green leaves too ....
Very adaptable which is why it's such a pleasure to grow .... I think there's
a lesson/ message in there for us humans too, don't you think?
We have had a very, very wet summer and autumn - unseasonally so.... when I
look around I notice that this year the autumn colours are so much more
vibrant and rich - you have to wonder if the change in the weather plays a
part in any way ... 
Image(s) All Rights Reserved
Copyright 2010 Gena D Images for thinking aloud

14 comments:

Auntie E said...

Very nice Autumn captures. I love that season.
My Ruby Tuesday Link for You

nancy said...

Gena,
That is one interesting bamboo tree. We don't get much flowers coming up here in NY.It is going up to 50's today and into the low 60's. Have a great week.

chasity said...

very beautiful colors and textures.
i hadn't thought about you being in a different season...get caught up in my own little world sometimes.
:)

hope to see more of your beautiful fall.

gorgeous nelly said...

Wow, that's very interesting. It's my first time to see that kind of bamboo tree. Your photos are so beautiful and I love the vibrant colors.

It's my first time to join this meme and here's my first entry. Have a great week ahead.

Kim, USA said...

Wow I haven't seen such beautiful bamboo like this one. If this tolerates in winter cold I might as well look for this plant here in MI and start to planting it ^_^. Happy RT and thanks for the info.

My Cardinal

Victoria said...

Hi Gena...this is very magical..very color-vibrant and energizing..wow!! I love the first photo especially! You work is always so gorgeous!!
Kiki~

Unknown said...

I love all the reds! A bamboo that's not really a bamboo, interesting.

Unknown said...

Sacred Bamboo is a romantic name for this shrub but new to me. Nandina is a great shrub for foundation plantings - tough and beautiful at all seasons.

Dianne said...

incredibly beautiful photos!!
love the colors

Anonymous said...

the colours are as heartwarming as the sun itself! so vibrant, gleamingly beautiful!

love, love this post, Gena!
well done!

ciao bella
creative carmelina

Kala said...

The colors are so vibrant! :)

Ed said...

Beautiful shots..:-)

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

autumn chill
the sacred bamboo
turns crimson

Frank Charley’s grave

Mandy said...

Those photos are really beautiful. I love how crisp the colours are and how vibrant the colours. The thing I love most about the summers here is the green. I have never seen so many shades of green as England in summer.

Linked within

Blog Widget by LinkWithin